Ads 468x60px

Monday, January 19, 2009

Genesis 16:1-2, The Message

Sarai, Abram's wife, hadn't yet produced a child. She had an Egyptian maid named Hagar. Sarai said to Abram, "God has not seen fit to let me have a child. Sleep with my maid. Maybe I can get a family from her." Abram agreed to do what Sarai said.

This could be one of those fashion magazine moments of "WHAT was she thinking?!" Seriously, the previous chapters of Genesis have been undeniable evidence of Abram and Sarai's faith and obedience to the Unseen God. You would think that Sarai could ignore the fact that she and Abram were old; I mean, God Himself said they'd have a son. Why on earth would Sarai suggest for Abram to sleep with her maid? I suppose we look/sound/think just as foolishly as Sarai when we attempt to jump the gun on God's plan and timing. I know I'm guilty of Sarai moments and, just like her, things don't work out as well when we don't let God do His job.

The cool thing is that God still works it out. Even in this story in Genesis 16, God sends the Angel of the Lord to the abused maid Hagar and speaks with her about her circumstances. Even if you're not necessarily as famous as Abram, God is still God and He loves you. No one is too small for God to work through or speak to or encounter.

0 comments:

Post a Comment