Ads 468x60px

Monday, January 5, 2009

Matthew 5:1-3, The Message

When Jesus saw his ministry drawing huge crowds, he climbed a hillside. Those who were apprenticed to him, the committed, climbed with him. Arriving at a quiet place, he sat down and taught his climbing companions. This is what he said: "You're blessed when you're at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and his rule."

My comfort from this scripture today came from the description of Jesus as he climbed up the hillside to teach. Sometimes scripture gives me such a vivid mental picture of what it would have been like to hike alongside the living Messiah, and it's an overwhelming thought. I love that Jesus just cozied up and taught "the committed" things He knew they would need (and all of us yet to come) to know in order to follow Him for the rest of time.

I would like to think that today is another hike on the hillside with Jesus. Today, Jesus and I are strolling along and if I chose to set myself aside and, even for a moment, acknowledge a "quiet place" in my heart and mind, I will truly be able to hear what He is teaching me today. With less of you there is more of God...

0 comments:

Post a Comment