Ads 468x60px

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Acts 18:26-28, NIV

He began to speak boldly in the synagogue. When Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they invited him to their home and explained to him the way of God more adequately.

When Apollos wanted to go to Achaia, the brothers encouraged him and wrote to the disciples there to welcome him. On arriving, he was a great help to those who by grace had believed. For he vigorously refuted the Jews in public debate, proving from the Scriptures that Jesus was the Christ.

I'm reading a really good book (in addition to the Good Book) titled "Irresistible Revolution" by Shane Claiborne. It's wonderful how well it coincides with what I'm learning from Acts. Shane has a great story of how he has seen God work through him, and other "ordinary radicals" in his community, simply because they are seeking to follow Jesus' example to love and live simply on earth. It's humbling, passionate, inspiring, and convicting.

Anyway, similar to the verses above - the words in this book are aching to help Christ followers understand that as Jesus' Body, we need to care about social justice. We need to care about politics and government and what decisions are being made for our future. We need to be hospitable, always, to believers and nonbelievers alike. My heart jumped as I read the words in Shane's book, as well as this account from Acts. My heart leaped because it has the same desire, the same beat. I want to be educated on social justice. I want to care for the environment, honoring Christ by doing as much with my hands as I can instead of paying someone to do it. I want to always have an open door and empty chair policy.

Honestly, sometimes the church can stifle those desires. I've felt it firsthand and seen it from a distance. It can feel "threatening" to welcome controversy or attempt to love everyone in sight, even when they are obviously different and not in a similar "mold." But it's the Church that must take action. Why is it that celebrities are known for their promotion of nonprofit organizations and fair-trade products while Christians are known for... hypocrisy? greed? being close-minded or sheltered?

I'm convinced that God gave me my mind in order to use it for His glory and, even if I'm tired after a long day at work, or my brain feels overloaded, it's my Christian duty to be responsible and educated on the things that God cares about, the things that Jesus cared about when He was on earth. Feeding the hungry. Healing the sick. Providing for the poor. Speaking truth. Fighting injustice. Going to all the world.

1 comments:

Vince Ellwood said...

We heard Gary Haugen speak at Leadership Summit last August about this same thing, Katie. Made a huge impact on me then; easy to lose momentum several months later, however. You might want to check Gary's books and ministry out. Great stuff! Love you - Dad

Post a Comment