Ads 468x60px

Thursday, April 16, 2009

1 John 4:8, The Message

"The person who refuses to love doesn't know the first thing about God, because God is love—so you can't know him if you don't love."

Unfortunately, I think it's easy for me to dismiss this verses because I don't feel like I refuse love. I am blessed with a loving family, loving friends, and the ability to love back. Therefore, I assume that I understand love and, as a result, understand God.

However, looking deeper into this verses tonight I see that my description of love is about giving and receiving. That's not what it's about. To know about God you have to be able to love the unlovable. When I say a cruel word about a stranger, I'm refusing to love them. When I create a stereotype, I'm refusing to love. When I see outward appearances and don't take the time to look inside, I'm refusing to love. Whatever I don't do for "the least of these," means that I am refusing to love. And that is why I sometimes I feel like I'm distant from God or don't understand His word. To understand the magnitude of God, I need to love with every thought, action and conversation.

0 comments:

Post a Comment