Ads 468x60px

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Matthew 13:12-14, New Internation Version

Whoever has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. This is why I speak to them in parables:
"Though seeing, they do not see;
though hearing, they do not hear or understand. In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah:
" 'You will be ever hearing but never understanding;
you will be ever seeing but never perceiving.

I often feel as though a parable of Jesus can have many different meanings. But tonight at church my pastor said that parables only have one meaning. My pastor said this because Jesus spoke plainly to his disciples (and others) when sharing a parable because He was constantly explaining the meaning to His listeners. This side of God sometimes frustrates me because I know that my brain should be capable of understanding more and I wish for the complex puzzle to solve. I don't want an obvious interpretation, I want a journey and a revelation that would be worth writing a book about. But, because God knows my mental capacity, He wisely used parables to explain His Truth clearly. If the meaning were hidden too well, I might search but then I would inevitably become weary or discouraged. So, again, God knows best and has given me His truth in a way that I can understand it but still desire to search further and deeper on life's journey.

0 comments:

Post a Comment