Ads 468x60px

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Colossians 3:12-14, New American Standard Bible

So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you. Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity.

Sitting in my cubicle at work today (trying to remember that God has me there for a reason...) I got really excited when "God of Justice" by Tim Hughes came on my iPod. If you don't know the song, you need to listen to it. I think the lyrics sum up a lot of this verse from Colossians while also helping motivate the listeners to not just sit, listen and read anymore - it's time for action. Here are the lyrics:

God of Justice, Saviour to all,
Came to rescue the weak and the poor,
Chose to serve and not be served
Jesus, You have called us
Freely we've received
Now freely we will give

We must go live to feed the hungry
Stand beside the broken
We must go
Stepping forward keep us from just singing
Move us into action
We must go

To act justly everyday
Loving mercy in every way
Walking humbly before You God

You have shown us, what You require
Freely we've received
Now freely we will give
Fill us up and send us out

Social justice should be our passion just as it was a passion of Jesus when He was on earth. He was the truest example of compassion and love. I referenced this book earlier in the last week, but The Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne really helped open my eyes to issues that I conveniently avoid or easily forget about. Here is my final thought, and I plagiarized it from the book:

"And I think that's what our world is desperately in need of - lovers, people who are building deep, genuine relationships with fellow strugglers along the way, and who actually know the faces of the people behind the issues they are concerned about."

0 comments:

Post a Comment