Ads 468x60px

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A Personal God; C.S. Lewis; Mere Christianty


When you come to knowing God, the initiative lies on His side. If He does not show Himself, nothing you can do will enable you to find Him. And, in fact, He shows much more of Himself to some people than to others - not because He has favourites, but because it is impossible for Him to show Himself to a man whose whole mind and character are in the wrong condition. Just as sunlight, though it has no favourites, cannot be reflected in a dusty mirror as clearly as in a clean one.


As usual, I'm very busy this week - but I like it, so it's okay. My good friends from Northern Ireland are visiting! In addition to working full time while they're here, I am leading the discussion Thursday night at small group. I wanted to lead, I've missed it the last month or so when I had a co-leader step in so I could have a rest. The funny thing is, the topic we wanted to discuss this week is the Trinity. "Whhhhat? Haha, that's funny God! Bet you got a kick out of that," I said to God when I found out I needed to lead on this topic. "So much for an easy discussion."
How do I approach this topic as a leader? Although I've been more than familiar with the Bible, God, church, and "christianese" since I was a kid - the theology and concept of a three-in-one God is still too much for me sometimes! My mind is only so big! Add to the mix that the girls in our group are in a large age range of 18-27 and very diverse spiritual backgrounds. But it's okay - God can still use my pea-sized brain to simplify the concept for everyone's understanding.
I'm going to use several chapters from Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis for clarification of the theology of a Personal God and springboard for discussion questions. I'm actually looking forward to it a lot because I find his words to be thought-provoking and great discussion starters. For instance - what do you think about this quote? Do you think that if you seek God you can not find Him unless He chooses to reveal Himself to you?

0 comments:

Post a Comment