Ads 468x60px

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Jonah 2:8, NIV

Those who cling to worthless idols
forfeit the grace that could be theirs.

Today I thoroughly enjoyed reading another two chapters in The Hole in our Gospel. Richard Sterns' thoughts on what God expects of us have been convicting and relevant. Too often I find that I am guilty, just like Jonah (in the above verse), of clinging desperately to my worthless "idols" and missing out on the grace that allows me to live freely and have things of immeasurable worth.

I'm still trying to discover and admit what my idols are - I'm very good at being unaware of my flaws.

My mind tries to tell me that clinging to these idols is security - it's safe. But if you look at the story of Jonah, you see he tried to convince himself of the same thing but only found safety in the times when he was obeying God. "God can't give you the blessings He has for you until you first put down the others things you are clutching your hands."

And no excuses about "I don't have the time or resources to adequately serve God," or "I'm not spiritual enough." 2 Corinthians 12:9 - ...for My power is made perfect in weakness...

God doesn't call the equipped -He equips the called.

Closing thoughts from the chapters I read today: "Mother Teresa once said, "I am a little pencil in the hand of a writing God who is sending a love letter to the world." She had it right. We're not authors, any of us. We are just the pencils. Once we understand that, we might actually become useful to God.

0 comments:

Post a Comment