Ads 468x60px

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Matthew 3:11-13, New International Version

Every day this week I've been looking forward to the daily post on John Piper's Desiring God blog. Today's was especially thought-provoking as it quoted one of my favorite authors, C.S. Lewis, and spoke on a topic I struggle daily with - humility. Please click here to read.

One phrase in particular stood out to me. Describing the work of Jonathan Edwards, John Piper stated that Edwards was trying to discern "what was wheat and what was chaff in the emotions of the Great Awakening in New England." It made me think about my own life and emotions and how I sometimes build up chaff (leftovers of seeds left on the threshing floor; something comparatively worthless) instead of wheat (the harvested grain that has worth). I want to be the wheat! But, as a human, the chaff will always be gathering up in my life. My goal this week will be to recognize that when it happens and do my best to harvest more wheat than chaff.

"I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire. His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor, gathering his wheat into the barn and burning up the chaff with unquenchable fire."

0 comments:

Post a Comment