Ads 468x60px

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Matthew 3:7-10

When John realized that a lot of Pharisees and Sadducees were showing up for a baptismal experience because it was becoming the popular thing to do, he exploded: "Brood of snakes! What do you think you're doing slithering down here to the river? Do you think a little water on your snakeskins is going to make any difference? It's your life that must change, not your skin! And don't think you can pull rank by claiming Abraham as father. Being a descendant of Abraham is neither here nor there. Descendants of Abraham are a dime a dozen. What counts is your life. Is it green and blossoming? Because if it's deadwood, it goes on the fire.

I read this passage in the NLT, NASB, and NIV translations this morning but I still return to the Message translation for my clearest understanding. These verses are a clear warning from John regarding Jesus' arrival and purpose on earth. Isn't it daunting that still today God can see through any unfeeling motions or meaningless routines? Gulp - guilty! God sent Jesus to clean out those people, He wants followers who are following Him and not the law. He's still sorting through all of us today with his "winnowing fork."

This is the side of God that I don't often dwell on. I tend to look at God as my Father and Provider more than anything else. This fierce-King-jealous-Lover-great-Warrior God gives me chills (in a good way) but I don't fully understand Him, I don't think my mind ever will. But, to gain as much knowledge of this Omnipotent Lord as I can in my little head is my lifelong desire, and challenge.

0 comments:

Post a Comment