Ads 468x60px

Monday, December 29, 2008

Romans 6:13 NLT

Do not let any part of your body become an instrument of evil to serve sin. Instead, give yourselves completely to God, for you were dead, but now you have new life. So use your whole body as an instrument to do what is right for the glory of God.

Along with my hope to be more disciplined with reading the Bible, I am starting a diet today. I realize that it's only December 29 and most people being their New Year resolutions on January 1, but I hesitate to use the familiar term which is often associated with failed attempts to better oneself. Let's consider it more of a "personal resolve" instead of a New Year resolution.

I will be following this verse as I diet. I don't want to let my body become a slave to sin. I want to glorify God with the instrument He has given me by taking care of it by what I eat, how active I am, and my reasons for taking those steps to improve bad habits. I'd hate to get caught up in the quest for beauty (which we all know is vain) and lose sight of the bigger picture -- God has given me a new life, I need to honor Him with it!

Final thought - I like how Paul says "whole body." This doesn't just include the outer parts. I need to work on them for sure. But this means my speech, my inner thoughts, the longings of my heart, my knowledge and understanding. This "personal resolve" might be a greater task than I first thought; however, I love a challenge and if I'm spending time in the Word each day, and truly following what I know is right, God will help me make it there.

0 comments:

Post a Comment