Ads 468x60px

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Acts 2:25b-28, New Living Translation

‘I see that the Lord is always with me.
I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me.
No wonder my heart is glad,
and my tongue shouts his praises!
My body rests in hope.
For you will not leave my soul among the dead
or allow your Holy One to rot in the grave.
You have shown me the way of life,
and you will fill me with the joy of your presence.’

These verses are quoting David, Old Testament David! His faith was sure as he penned these prophetic words that bring me renewed comfort tonight. I love that God uses us for his prophecies to be revealed. David knew that God had promised that one of his descendants would sit on the throne and his hope was in that oath. David was allowed a small glimpse into the future and knew that Jesus would be resurrected because God would not allow Him to rot in a grave.

I loved reading this entire chapter because it's like the doctrine statement for the first Christians, the Church. But, unlike our current concept of a doctrine statement, these words were spoken to men and women who knew who Jesus was; He had walked the earth at the same time and was a well-known name. People who had questioned, seen him, and wondered were now being told "the Jesus you crucified is Lord and Messiah." I wonder if their audience was shocked, as shocked as we would be if someone stood up and told us that Tom Cruise was the messiah? He's well known and seen as a fanatic by some, can you imagine the shock?? Fortunately for us - Jesus is far better than any human and God's message in this chapter was delivered in every listener's native tongue and undeniably true. Praise God!

0 comments:

Post a Comment