Ads 468x60px

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Matthew 5:7, NIV

"Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy."

Mercy | compassion or forbearance shown especially to an offender or to one subject to one's power ; also : a blessing that is an act of divine favor or compassion.

After reading that description, who doesn't want mercy? After reading that description, who wants to give mercy? That's a little more difficult. I have a hard time showing mercy to an offender. I want revenge. I struggle with showing mercy to someone considered "lower" than me. Yet, knowing that if I show mercy I'll also receive mercy, why don't I obey this scripture more often? Clearly, this is yet another instance in which I am helpless and God needs to step in and teach me how. As the Author of mercy, and the only One who can effortlessly extend mercy to all, I can only hope and pray that God will continue to show me mercy when I'm undeserving so I can learn how to do the same.

0 comments:

Post a Comment