Ads 468x60px

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Acts 6:3-6, The Message

They said, "It wouldn't be right for us to abandon our responsibilities for preaching and teaching the Word of God to help with the care of the poor. So, friends, choose seven men from among you whom everyone trusts, men full of the Holy Spirit and good sense, and we'll assign them this task. Meanwhile, we'll stick to our assigned tasks of prayer and speaking God's Word."

The congregation thought this was a great idea. They went ahead and chose Stephen, a man full of faith and the Holy Spirit, Philip, Procorus, Nicanor, Timon, Parmenas, Nicolas, a convert from Antioch. Then they presented them to the apostles. Praying, the apostles laid on hands and commissioned them for their task.

These were the verses I needed to read today. What they say to me is "you can't do it all Katie." Even in the early days of the Church, it was known that certain responsibilities could not be abandoned and tasks would have to be delegated.

I spent tonight with good friends. I had no obligations, responsibilities, to-do's... it was just a nice for me. I can't tell you how nice it was. Not only am I blessed with wonderful friends who are a pure JOY to be with, but I also discovered that it had been far too long since i had a night of simple fellowship. I'm confident that it's good for me to have these nights, and to have them more frequently than I currently do.

In that same vein, the reason I don't have many of these nights is because I often don't delegate or say no. I need to pray for God to show me the task He would have me continue and the responsibilities He might have me give up for a time. It sounds hard and I'll be sad to discontinue something that I'm involved with, but I can't do it all--only God can.

1 comments:

Vince Ellwood said...

Good words, Katie! I need to listen to them myself. It is so easy for us "Ellwoods" to overcommit and do more than we should. Ugh! Love you - Dad

Post a Comment