Ads 468x60px

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Acts 6:8, 10, 15; New Living Translation

Stephen, a man full of God’s grace and power, performed amazing miracles and signs among the people...None of them could stand against the wisdom and the Spirit with which Stephen spoke...At this point everyone in the high council stared at Stephen, because his face became as bright as an angel’s.

The chapter ends with those last words, which seems abrupt - I wanted to jump ahead to chapter seven, but I decided it would be fun to prolong the suspense of the captivating story of superhero Stephen even though I know what happens next. OK, anyway. I know that in the Christian faith our supreme and ultimate hero is God, but I love to learn more about the heroes and sidekicks that came along the way in His story. The sidekick in this story, Stephen, was introduced rather quickly in this chapter. But his description is one that I am jealous of. You didn't have to know Stephen personally to know Who he served or what he believed. Stephen had the bold confidence that comes from an obedient heart. I believe that Stephen knew exactly what God had called him to do - speak truth, do God's work, and love people.

I have definitely failed to be the strong sidekick in my part of the story at times. In the midst of debate, my confidence has wavered. My fear for what other people think has prevented the Truth from coming from my lips. When I have felt the nudge to pray healing for someone, I let a skeptic attitude withhold my hand from praying over them. All that aside, I'll admit that I haven't always failed. When I take the leap away from "self" and let God write the story, it's always a different, but better, ending than my imagination could have ever created.

0 comments:

Post a Comment