Ads 468x60px

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Acts 7:48-52, The Message

However, the Most High does not live in houses made by men. As the prophet says:
" 'Heaven is my throne,
and the earth is my footstool.
What kind of house will you build for me? says the Lord.
Or where will my resting place be?
Has not my hand made all these things?'
"You stiff-necked people, with uncircumcised hearts and ears! You are just like your fathers: You always resist the Holy Spirit! Was there ever a prophet your fathers did not persecute?

I love the affirmation in these verses that state God is bigger than any building and cannot be contained by anything, especially something made by men. Not to mention how awesome it is that in these verses Stephen is letting them have it. First he summarizes the Old Testament without taking a breath, now he is letting the Spirit speak through him to remind them of how it should be.

Seriously though, what kind of house have I built for the Lord? What does His resting place look like in my life right now? I'm not sure that we're supposed to have either of those. God simply can't be contained. There is something about our culture that makes us feel like we must have control, we have to know what to expect and what will come next. I don't know about you, but I have to work really hard to not attempt to take the reins from God. It's hard for me to take the freefall into the unknown adventure God has in store. I think I fear that I won't get to do things that I feel are important to me, or I fear that I know better.

Putting those thoughts on this blog make me realize how foolish they are. Haha! That's a little embarrassing. Truly, I do have faith that God will do what is best for me even if it's the exact opposite of what I would elect... now it's just a matter of applying my faith while ignoring the temptations of the culture and of my self.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I needed this today, Katie... thank you :)

Post a Comment