Ads 468x60px

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Romans 12:17-21, The Message

Don't hit back; discover beauty in everyone. If you've got it in you, get along with everybody. Don't insist on getting even; that's not for you to do. "I'll do the judging," says God. "I'll take care of it."
Our Scriptures tell us that if you see your enemy hungry, go buy that person lunch, or if he's thirsty, get him a drink. Your generosity will surprise him with goodness. Don't let evil get the best of you; get the best of evil by doing good.

Last weekend I hung out with a new friend. Although we've been aquaintances for several months, we've never interacted socially. To be frank, I didn't think I liked this individual. I knew we have nothing in common, we live very different lives, and our conversations have never been effortless or enjoyable. Pretty harsh, huh? To my surprise, we had a great time together. Granted, the conversation didn't always flow and our differences only because more pronounced as we got to know each other more. BUT, I had misjudged this person and, clearly (see above verses), that was wrong. So point #1 of this post - I was wrong to judge and was pleasantly surprised to find out that I have a new friend in someone very different from me. Shame on me for not believing it was possible in the first place.

Point #2 of this post, do good. Be generous. See verses 20 and 21 -- surprise people with goodness. I love that idea. Let's go do it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment