Ads 468x60px

Thursday, May 28, 2009

John 14:13-14, New International Version

And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

In several conversations in my life, these verses have cause interesting conversation among Christians. I see people react to it three ways. One, you agree; God will do anything you ask. Two, you disagree; God isn't a vending machine and doesn't always give us what we ask for. Or three (which is what I believe), I agree in context; God wants us to request things in His name that are for His glory so that He is lifted up. This isn't a shopping list prayer, this isn't a "be all and heal all" power, this is truly seeking God's will in prayer and following His leading in the conversation to ask what you know God is willing, not what we want.

For instance, read the same verses in the Message: From now on, whatever you request along the lines of who I am and what I am doing, I'll do it. That's how the Father will be seen for who he is in the Son. I mean it. Whatever you request in this way, I'll do.

I think the difference is clear. But I still like hearing opposing or different views on it. What do you think?

1 comments:

Vince Ellwood said...

He answers our prayers - all of them! Maybe not exactly how we want them to be answered, but He does answer them. And in HIS time, not ours! Even when I ask amiss, He answers correctly with just what I need (maybe not what I think I want). The most important thing is to just talk with Him. He knows your heart...

Post a Comment