Ads 468x60px

Monday, June 22, 2009

1 Samuel 1:25-26, The Message

Hannah said, "Excuse me, sir. Would you believe that I'm the very woman who was standing before you at this very spot, praying to God? I prayed for this child, and God gave me what I asked for. And now I have dedicated him to God. He's dedicated to God for life."

I don't have kids, but I have two great parents who have shown me since I was little what it's like to raise children in a Godly home. Part of what that means is that my parents acknowledged that my brothers and I belong to God. Granted, parents don't necessarily "drop off" their kids at the local church in the way Hannah did with Samuel, but raising children with the willingness to let them go and let God guide their life -- that's what my parents did.

Because I was essentially turned over to God by my folks, I have been able to live life with the freedom of knowing God is in control and no decision He leads me to will be a mistake. My mistakes have all occurred when I tried to rearrange God's plan to suit my preferences and desires. It's when I do what my parents have done and turn myself over to God that life makes sense and God is most pleased.

I admire Hannah and I appreciate that her story was included for me to read thousands of years later.

1 comments:

Vince Ellwood said...

My darling daughter, Katie - Yes, you DO belong to God. You always have. But, I am so glad that He allowed us to be stewards of your precious life for awhile. We are so blessed by you, sweetie, and thank God continually for who you are and who you are becoming in Him! Praise God for His goodness to us all! Love you - Dad

Post a Comment