Ads 468x60px

Friday, June 12, 2009

Ecclesiastes 1:9-11, New Living Translation



History merely repeats itself. It has all been done before. Nothing under the sun is truly new. Sometimes people say, “Here is something new!” But actually it is old; nothing is ever truly new. We don’t remember what happened in the past, and in future generations, no one will remember what we are doing now.

This depresses me. Nothing about these verses sounds uplifting or happy. I don't know why I always expect to easily find comforting thoughts in the Bible - it's not a requirement for the Words, it's just my own selfishness that demands it. At the same time though, most verses have an encouraging message to them. So I just sat here at work at the end of the day thinking about these verses. And here is what I think.

When I am saddened by what I see on the news or hear my peers talking about, I think to myself "Our world is terrible. I hope the end is near soon. Things can't get any worse."

My heart truly wonders... Can politicians be more corrupt? ... Can the economy ever recover? ... Will the hungry ever be fed? ... Will greed be satisfied? ... When will people stop hurting each other? ... Is there any love in our midst?!?

I'm tired and weary of it all.

But scroll up and read those verses from Ecclesiastes again - "nothing is ever truly new." Generations have asked these same things, I'm not the only one who's doubted and been discouraged. And, unfortunately, all of their attempts to prevent history from repeating itself - education, literature, culture - have failed. We're in the same place as them. And, unfortunately, all of our attempts to save our children and grandchildren from these same worldly plagues will also be futile.

So, while I take comfort in these verses because they affirm that my heart's cry is not alone, it's also a burden to know the state of our world is not likely to change. It can't change without Christ. And as I spend my days on this earth drawing near to my Savior, turning my heart more towards Him and His heart, whatever wisdom I gain will also bring a "chasing after the wind."



"The greater my wisdom, the greater my grief. To increase knowledge only increases sorrow."

0 comments:

Post a Comment