Ads 468x60px

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Galatians 6:7-8, New Living Translation

Don’t be misled—you cannot mock the justice of God. You will always harvest what you plant. Those who live only to satisfy their own sinful nature will harvest decay and death from that sinful nature. But those who live to please the Spirit will harvest everlasting life from the Spirit.

I saw a thief today. Maybe it was a crook. This man was in handcuffs outside of the grocery store, guarded on either side by the store manager and security guard. I arrived at the same time as the police and I resisted the urge to stand and watch what would happen. But as I walked through the automatic doors I turned and saw the shirtless, tattooed, bloodied man shake his head from side to side with a look of panic on his face as he stumbled to his knees. I don't know the outcome of this story, I only know that he was attempting to steal from the grocery store.

I couldn't help but think of this story what I read these verses tonight. The humbled situation this thief found himself in today seemed unnatural and almost mocking -- this man was trying really hard to look innocent, but even I could see the guilt and horror on his face with the realization that he had been caught.

Hopefully we will cease our sin and the habits of the sinful nature as they only encourage getting caught. God's justice will find you, in this life or the next, and I'd rather not spend my days looking over my shoulder. Let's do good and be surprised if we get noticed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment