Ads 468x60px

Friday, July 10, 2009

1 Corinthians 14, select verses, New Living Translation

v. 1: Let love be your highest goal! But you should also desire the special abilities the Spirit gives—especially the ability to prophesy.
v. 3, 4: But one who prophesies strengthens others, encourages them, and comforts them...but one who speaks a word of prophecy strengthens the entire church.
v. 22: Prophecy, however, is for the benefit of believers, not unbelievers
v. 39, 40: So, my dear brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy...But be sure that everything is done properly and in order

Yesterday I took a lengthy online quiz about spiritual gifts. I don't mind sharing the results, this is listed from my strengths down to my weaknesses:

Pastor/Shepherd
Administration
Evangelism
Exhortation
Showing Mercy
Prophecy
Serving
Teaching
Giving

The reason I included verses about prophecy today is because I was pleased to see that it was in the middle-area of my results. I had several incredible experiences with prophetic ministry in Belfast a couple years ago. I haven't had the same obvious experiences since, but I know that God has spoken to me through various people and circumstances since then.

Until those experiences in Belfast, I always thought prophecy was something confined to Old Testament prophets. But, as you can read in the verses above, prophecy isn't as complicated or confusing as you might thing (if it's practiced biblically).

Prophecy should never be discouraging, it's meant for mutual encouragement and edification of the Church. More than just one person can prophesy, you don't have to be a "prophet." You should have other people present and pray about each word before you speak it - don't say anything from your own mind, let it all be God's Words. The other people present should also pray and weigh the words you speak, verifying that they are in line with scripture and the individual/organization you are speaking to.

As a measure of examining prophesies that I've been given, I always write them down and ask other people if that seems correct for me. In one experience, the man who prophesied over me spoke his prayer into a cassette tape recorder and gave it to me immediately after so that I could listen to it and remember. He also made sure that those in the room who knew me would agree that what he said was accurate for my life. Nothing about that experience was negative or gave me a weird feeling - that's also how I know it was true.

So, like verse 39, let's all be eager to hear from the Lord and speak His Words when they're given to us. Let's uplift each other this way and acknowledge that we have a living and moving God who can speak to us.

0 comments:

Post a Comment