Ads 468x60px

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Live like Jesus and see what happens

"Missions then is less about the transportation of God from one place to another and more about the identification of a God who is already there [...] You see God where others don't. And then you point him out. So the issue isn't so much taking Jesus to people who don't have him, but going to a place and pointing out to the people the creative, life-giving God who is already present in their midst. " - Rob Bell

One of the girls spoke about the first chapter of Velvet Elvis tonight as the core thoughts on emerging church topic. I'm not sure I agree with how he's approached some of the topic (at least from the excerpts from the first chapter that we read), but I like the quote of his above. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what book this quote is from. But one of the things we talked about tonight was the concept of life simply being as much like Jesus as you can from day to day, and seeing what happens as a result. Can that really be it? I think so. Obviously it's an umbrella statement and there is a lot to it - but overall it's all we can do.

Another question I have for you to think about (and hopefully comment on), how do you have fun with God? We should right? I mean, why not. If we're doing life with and for God, that includes good and bad, fun and serious. So, what does it look like when you have fun with God?

For me, it's travel. I have so much fun seeing new places, different places, new people, hearing a unique accent, experiencing a new culture, trying new food, etc. That is so much FUN and shows me so many of God's multifaceted Character and creativity.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

One of the ways I am currently having "fun with God" is to help others get connected with Him and His people. It's so great to see others as they start to engage in life with Christ, and do that life with them, sharing our stories, and serving together.

Vince Ellwood said...

For me, having "fun with God" happens when I share personal stories about Him and all that He is doing in my life, especially with family members and friends. Having "fun with God" also happens when I'm writing on my blog each week. God chooses to put ideas into this little head of mine, and then I am supposed to blog about them. That's fun!

Post a Comment