Ads 468x60px

Friday, July 3, 2009

Philippians 4:13, New International Version

I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

I met a guy at a swimming pool today by striking up a conversation about the large cross tattoo on his arm. The text "Phil 4:13" accompanied the cross and I asked him if it was the "I can do all things verse." He said yes and that he was glad I knew the verses because he wouldn't have told me. Curious, I asked why. He said that he wants people to look the verse up for themselves (so that they get into the bible) rather than just giving them the one verse.

I can appreciate his idea, getting people to look up the verse if they are that inquisitive and maybe reading more of the bible as a result. However, I think if someone goes as far as to ask about a tattoo, you should at least give an answer instead of shutting the person down and sending them off on their own. It was an opportunity! I was a little frustrated that this guy didn't want to take advantage of it, but I can't impose my thoughts on this guy.

That all said, I like the verses this guy chose for his tattoo. Here it is in the Message translation:

I've found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.

1 comments:

Phil Ogilvie said...

Nice. I agree with you. So, what's your next tattoo going to be?

Post a Comment