Ads 468x60px

Friday, October 23, 2009

Galations 6:1-3, The Message

Live creatively, friends. If someone falls into sin, forgivingly restore him, saving your critical comments for yourself. You might be needing forgiveness before the day's out. Stoop down and reach out to those who are oppressed. Share their burdens, and so complete Christ's law. If you think you are too good for that, you are badly deceived.

I have a sore back most mornings. It's the result of a strained muscle in 2006 (note: don't go jump on a bed to scare a friend and then fall on the floor, it hurts!). Because this stiffness prevents me from moving about my daily routine in comfort, I find myself going through significant effort to avoid moving in a way that I know will hurt. I look ridiculous, and whatever I'm doing usually takes twice as long, but I succeed in avoiding the pain.

These verses says "stoop down and reach out to those who are oppressed." When I read this, I realized that I'm incredibly selfish and self-protective. My habit of exerting more time and effort to avoid discomfort has overlapped into my spiritual life. Too often I am unwilling to go out of my way to assist another believer or someone I see in need. I let my comfort and schedule dictate whether or not I will show grace and mercy as God commands. This is shockingly similar to the appalling behavior of the priest and the Levite in the story of the Good Samaritan.

I've never wanted to be in the place where I ask those in my life to show me grace and mercy, but are unwilling to bend down and offer it myself. As much as it might hurt or be inconvenient, I need to follow Christ's example and share their burdens. I'm deceiving myself to think that I can accept it and not have to give it in return.

So I'm going to continue to take care of strengthening my back muscles and building up strength while also practicing the spiritual discipline of overcoming the desire to walk past those who are oppressed and need grace and mercy.

Jesus said, "Go and do the same."

0 comments:

Post a Comment