Ads 468x60px

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Unexpected Expense

"One day," I always say. "One day I'll learn how to manage my money better!"

These words typically follow a financial blunder on my part; an instance in which I thought I was doing good and then swiftly realized that my account balance didn't add up correctly. Darnit. I blame the automatic withdraw for all my problems. :-)

At the beginning of this year, I went through a 13-week course on financial peace that was offered by Dave Ramsey and hosted by my church. I learned so much and made good progress. No more credit card debt, I think that's worth celebrating! But I still struggle. I can complain that it's because I don't make enough money or because something "always comes up," but the truth is that I should plan my life and finances according to what I make and with a plan for the unexpected expenses (which, if you think about it, aren't that unexpected...Christmas comes at the same time every year you know).

This morning, as I was once again lamented an upcoming expense that was "unexpected," I began to think about Christ. The Bible speaks about Christ's sacrifice as the payment for our sins. That He canceled our debt. That He paid the ultimate expense. I sat here just overwhelmed with these thoughts... I mean, how can I complain about my monetary expenses that are not significant in light of eternity (except that how I handle them should honor God) when my mindset should really be focused on things above.

God didn't have an unexpected expense when He lost His Son to death for our sins. God the Father and God the Son knew the high cost of this act. It was planned for all of time, every aspect of our human condition, of history, and of our future was taken into account. And when the moment came to make the payment, He didn't waver. There was no going back, no searching for additional funds, no credit, no remaining balance. He paid it all.

In light of this, my life should change. My daily actions should reflect my heart's condition - which is debt free because of Christ! So the next time I feel that life is asking too much, more than I can afford to give, I pray that my Spirit remembers first that my life is not my own and all I have to give is all I need to give for God's glory every day.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Great analogy, Katie! It's amazing that Jesus did pay it ALL!! Quite the motivation to stay focused on Him and to bring honor and glory to Him in all we do - yes, even in the area of finances!:)

Post a Comment