Ads 468x60px

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Colossians 3:2, New Living Translation

Think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth.

As "things above" and "things below" are obviously contrary one to the other, both cannot be followed together. It's a difficult choice to make as a disciple of Christ; heaven or the world, sacrifice or comfort? Actually, that probably isn't correct. I just realized as I typed that that I assume choosing things of the world means comfort. That isn't true - the world has pain and no one is exempt from it. That said, it isn't a field of daisies when you follow God, either. We get many blessings from following Christ, but a perfect life isn't promised.

Ultimately, what I learned from this verse tonight is that I have made a wonderful choice in choosing Christ and I need to see every thing (good or bad) through an eternal perspective and as a blessing an opportunity to learn and grow.

Father, why do I often equate blessings with comfort, health, and pleasant circumstances? I so want to count as blessings the difficult moments and happenings as well. Please continue to give me gentle reminders of contentment through the examples of those I encounter who "live simply, so others may simply live." Amen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment