Ads 468x60px

Monday, November 9, 2009

A Constant Frustration

This is a little sidetrack from my current theme of "encouragement." I was out-of-town and unplugged from technology this weekend and will soon resume my normal posts. However, at the moment, I'm distracted by my heart's scuffle with emotions of confusion, anger, and frustration.


You see, I have the priviledge of being a friend and/or mentor to many ladies in Dallas. Some a little older, most younger, I keep hearing the same statements and questions in conversations:


"I don't feel anything anymore."

"How can I actually do anything for the Lord? What do I have to offer?"

"Life sucks. What's the point?"

"Why aren't I happy?"

"How come God hasn't given me what I want?"

"I don't know what I believe anymore - I'm so confused."

"This isn't what I thought it was going to be like."

Most of the time I don't have the gumption to tell them, bluntly, what I think is true on the subject. I believe that we let ourselves get discouraged when we stress about how to fit God in our lives or when we can schedule a "quiet time" and get it crossed off our to-do list. God can't and shouldn't be orchestrated. This becomes religion and religion isn't what God wants.

No wonder we feel distant from God when we work so hard to do the things we think will make us feel better. All we have to do is live life, the kind of life God wants us to live, and include Him in every aspect.


Isaiah 1:13-17, The Message translation

"Quit your worship charades. I can't stand your trivial religious games: Monthly conferences, weekly Sabbaths, special meetings—meetings, meetings, meetings—I can't stand one more! Meetings for this, meetings for that. I hate them! You've worn me out! I'm sick of your religion, religion, religion, while you go right on sinning. When you put on your next prayer-performance, I'll be looking the other way. No matter how long or loud or often you pray, I'll not be listening. And do you know why? Because you've been tearing people to pieces, and your hands are bloody. Go home and wash up. Clean up your act. Sweep your lives clean of your evildoings so I don't have to look at them any longer. Say no to wrong. Learn to do good. Work for justice. Help the down-and-out. Stand up for the homeless. Go to bat for the defenseless. "


So there.

0 comments:

Post a Comment