Ads 468x60px

Monday, July 12, 2010

Fellowship Metro

When I moved from Belfast, Northern Ireland back to Dallas, Texas, I went through a rough transition.  While my friends, family, and new coworkers were great, one of the things that helped me the most was a Sunday night church service called Fellowship Metro (part of Fellowship Bible Church Dallas). 

I happened upon Metro on my second Sunday of visiting churches after moving from my parents house in Plano to my own apartment in Dallas--and I never left!  My first time to Metro was only the second week that this community had met so it was comforting that I was just as new as everyone else.  In addition, Metro operates under the tagline "a community on mission," and since I was just coming from the literal mission field this mission statement resonated with me.

For over two and a half years I have been a part of the community at Fellowship Metro.  From helping with refugee outreach events, to planning a womens retreat, to being a part of small groups, to helping with announcements, to running the twitter account, to leading a womens small group for 18 months, to seeing people get married or have babies or move away, to helping women get counseled, to creating prayer/worship services, to providing childcare for a married small group every week---the list goes on and on.  I loved it all!  Ultimately, my friends at Metro became my family and allowed me to be myself and helped me process my daily struggle of being authentic and finding out how I'm supposed to live on mission in Dallas while working from a cubicle.



Last night was the last Fellowship Metro.  The church saw that the need for this "next generation" Sunday night service wasn't there anymore; Metro had served its purpose in that way.  Two of the Metro Pastors are being lead to start a new campus plant of Fellowship Dallas and a new mid-week young adult ministry.  I'm so excited about how God is leading these opportunities out of the mission of Fellowship Metro. 

On that same note, this transition out of Metro comes at the same time that I feel (again) as though I am in a personal transition.  My leadership break from Metro the last six months showed me that God was the ONLY thing that made any of the good things possible in the last two and a half years.  It was a good lesson for me to learn.  Now that my heart feels more humbled, I'm eager to see what ministry God would have me get involved with again.

I was offered an opportunity with a ministry, but my heart is feeling led a different direction.  It's exciting to think about doing something new and on my own.  So I'm going to continue praying about this new idea/passion that is building within me--I don't want to do it without knowing God is behind it.  But I'm excited about the future and thankful that everything I've learned from the Metro community has undoubtedly prepared me for whatever comes next.

0 comments:

Post a Comment