Ads 468x60px

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Matthew 5:10-12, NIV

"Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you."

I don't think that God was playing a trick on us here by trying to get us to believe that persecution is a "blessing" (in the secular sense of the word). I think Jesus was trying to convey the reality of our lives as Christ-followers. We learn more about God through trials, we depend more on God in famine, we gain inner spiritual strength when out physical body is weak from pain. No earthy reward and no shiny trophy await us at the end of these difficult experiences. As these verses remind us, our unnamed reward is in heaven waiting for us. I have every confidence that this mystery reward will be far greater than even the biggest wrapped present under the tree on Christmas morning!

The question in my head tonight is, do I rejoice in the midst of trial? Am I glad that I'm a Christ-follower? I can easily exclaim "yes!" -- but my inner being hesitates as the visions of the alternatives and ideas the world offers appear in my mind.

"No" I tell myself; "God's way is better, it's all going to be worth it."

The evil one who hovers nearby whispers "doubt."

This is the conversation that will never end; but my faith is strong and, thankfully, the Holy Spirit is mighty - and He's on my side.

1 comments:

Vince Ellwood said...

Great words, Katie! I agree! Love you - Dad

Post a Comment