Ads 468x60px

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Matthew 5:21-22, The Message

"You're familiar with the command to the ancients, 'Do not murder.' I'm telling you that anyone who is so much as angry with a brother or sister is guilty of murder. Carelessly call a brother 'idiot!' and you just might find yourself hauled into court. Thoughtlessly yell 'stupid!' at a sister and you are on the brink of hellfire. The simple moral fact is that words kill."

I just saw a television commercial for the "think b 4 you speak" campaign. It was chiding people for using phrases like "that's so gay" without realizing what it really means or who it might offend. It made me think of scripture verses like these where I'm reminded that, especially as a Christian, what I say matters. Clearly, the tongue is evil and can't be trusted. With the weight of words being upon me, shouldn't I fill my mind and mouth with pleasing and pure thoughts? What goes in must come out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment