Ads 468x60px

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Acts 8:34-39, NIV

The eunuch asked Philip, "Tell me, please, who is the prophet talking about, himself or someone else?" Then Philip began with that very passage of Scripture and told him the good news about Jesus. As they traveled along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said, "Look, here is water. Why shouldn't I be baptized?" And he gave orders to stop the chariot. Then both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water and Philip baptized him. When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord suddenly took Philip away, and the eunuch did not see him again, but went on his way rejoicing.

I'll never forget hearing a sermon by Jeff Jones at Chase Oaks Church about baptism. He was telling the church that baptism is one of the first acts of obedience that a believer can participate in. What better way to declare or prove your decision than a public declaration? If you really think about it, from an unfamiliar point of view, baptism is weird. What normal sane adults would dip into a miniature pool in front of men and women sitting their seats dry and comfortable?! Personally, I love baptism. It's the purest example of washing away the sinful old self and walking away and into the new clean life you've chosen as a Child of God. I remember fully understanding what a big deal it was for me to be baptized when I was in the first grade. I was so proud of my decision and the support I heard in the cheers and claps of everyone sitting nearby. I encourage everyone who has never done this to not waste another moment! It's biblical, it's an act of obedience to God, and there is no reason not to!

1 comments:

Vince Ellwood said...

Thanks for reminding me of when you and Andy were baptized, Katie! What a glorious celebration it was! Praise God that He rescued all of us from the grips of sin and extended salvation to us! I love your excitement in this post for baptism! I love you, too! DAD

Post a Comment