Ads 468x60px

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ecclesiates 3:1, The Message

There's an opportune time to do things, a right time for everything on the earth.

I felt the need to read something different than Acts tonight. I had a great night with my best friends and am feeling pensive afterward. I didn't realize how difficult it is for me to just be "friend Katie" now. I'm involved in so many things as a leader that it's hard to switch gears and just be me. As the night wore on and we had many conversations, during all of it I was wondering if the conversation was going in the right direction, if everyone was having a chance to talk, if there was another question I should ask. It wasn't very relaxing.

I'm so grateful for these friends. They are patient with me. They know me better than almost anyone -- they knew I was distracted tonight and a little high strung. I knew there would be a verse in Ecclesiastes to help explain how I feel. That's why I chose this verse, I need balance the balance of understanding the times in my life. I need to understand that I can be a friend and it's okay if I need to talk because it's my turn. I don't need to feel guilty for taking up too much time talking about me. (Although anyone who knows me will say that I usually don't have a problem with talking about myself, haha!)

Even more, the time of my life right now is different from my friends. And I'm okay with it. We live very diverse and sometimes opposite lives and yet it's okay to be content where I am and not stress out or get upset because we may not be able to share everything like we used to. This is what makes our friendships strong and our appreciation of God's omniscience more profound.

3 comments:

Katie Joy said...

Katie, thanks for sharing! I'm so glad we have the "constant" of Wednesday nights, plus the joys of those small moments that come from rooming together. We girls all treasure and love your friendship, and I am convinced that even though our lives are all very different, God has held us together for His good purposes. Talk anytime! I'm happy to listen! PS I subscribed to your blog on Google Reader! :)

Gail said...

Katie...it's a joy to be around you and that you are just YOU! Cause I love YOU!!! Can't wait 'til Saturday night. :)

Anonymous said...

Katie,
I'm so selfish. I didn't even realize you were high strung last night. I was only thinking about myself and my need to share my crazy thoughts with you! I love you so much!! Thank you for being my dear friend.

Post a Comment