Ads 468x60px

Monday, April 13, 2009

Matthew 4:10, The Message

Jesus' refusal was curt: "Beat it, Satan!" He backed his rebuke with a third quotation from Deuteronomy: "Worship the Lord your God, and only him. Serve him with absolute single-heartedness."

I chose this verse tonight because it stood out to me that Jesus used scripture three times to rebuke and respond to Satan. I used to memorize scripture all the time, but it's a discipline I haven't practiced in a long time. Here I can see the example that Christ gives of the power and necessity of quoting memorized scripture. These words are a powerful attack on our enemy. For instance, often during worship/prayer services at church I will get severely dizzy or experience shaky eye vision. When that happens, I recognize that it is the devil trying to distract me from intimate worship with God. So, what I do is call out the name of Jesus or start praying hard using words of Truth and it always ends. The devils attacks, we fight with Truth. It's what Jesus would do.

0 comments:

Post a Comment