Ads 468x60px

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Proverbs 13:3, The Message

Careful words make for a careful life;
careless talk may ruin everything.

If you know me well, you'll know that I have quickly moved from the faithful Facebook to the trendy Twitter. Take heed of what I say next, I feel it is wise and profound.

I use Facebook for information. (600 friends, mostly people I never see or talk to)
I use Twitter for information. (following 140+, mostly Christian authors/artist whom I don't know)

The information I get on Facebook, for the most part, serves no redeeming purpose.
The resources and encouragement I get on Twitter have been huge blessings the last two weeks.

I realize that Facebook is a weak area for me spiritually. As a self-proclaimed Christ-follower, I want to live more like Christ. And gossip is not Christ-like. Yes, Facebook feeds my gossip and I want it to stop. Having spent hours of clicking on page to profile on Facebook, I only really gain new information to gossip about. "Did you see that so-and-so had a baby?" "I can't believe whats-her-name wore that outfit and was with that guy!"

I'm not saying that Twitter is the saint of social media! On the contrary, I have to intentionally resist the urge to follow the popular and entertaining celebrities as that would feed celebrity gossip and I don't want to be know for my pop culture trivia. I want to be know for my heart for the Lord and my endurance through life to become more like Christ.

I have found hope from pastors I follow on Twitter - some "big names" and some very unknown. I am motivated and encouraged by the authors/writers/artists I follow as I sense their quest for authenticity and "realness" in our culture. I am learning from their work and from their words. I sense a bond with fellow Christians in the trenches of this temporary world as we share and re-tweet each others prayer requests and selected verses for the day. It's truly been such a positive social media experience that I wanted to share about it with you.

It might look different for you than it did for me, but what time-consuming activity are you engaging that has no redeeming value and takes you further away from Godly pursuits?

0 comments:

Post a Comment