Ads 468x60px

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Think Time

This week I've cut back on my schedule. Shocking, I know. But because I was starting a new position at work, I knew the transition was going to be draining and I could use all the down time I could get. Let me just say, it was incredible. I got to drive around, wander through shops and stores, cook dinner, and work out. Simple pleasures.

This did give me a lot of "think time." Ironically enough, I was reading a chapter from Howard Hendrick's "Living by the Book" and came across the same concept there. I am reading from the third and final section of the book about application of the bible. One of the steps of application is to MEDITATE.

The author shares that he was once at a time in his life where he was near a psychotic breakdown. It wasn't until someone came and visited him and followed him around that he heard the words: "Your problem is that you are behind on your think time." Like the author, I can let so many things occupy my attention that I don't allow myself time apart to process it all. This could be the very definition of "overwhelmed."

True meditation (aka: think time) is "pondering the truth with a view to letting it help and readjust our lives." This is vital to the Believer. Hopefully, believers are spending time in God's word. But more than that, are believer leaving time to mediate on these works and let them sink in to our core and change our lives? Or are we just crossing off our list of "christian things to do today?"

When I lived in Northern Ireland, the staff at Youth for Christ were masters at knowing their year-teams would need time to meditate. Every month we would get together for a "team day" and there would always be a reflective exercise or an hour or more of "me time." I credit those moments to my sanity that year. And what have I done to continue that practice here in Dallas? Aside from the occasional emotional breakdown due to exhaustion, I don't give myself that time until it's a spiritual code red. I should be proactive about scheduling biblical meditation in my life.

Meditation is key to changing our outlook. Just like I felt as though my quality of life was better this week because I started a wonderful new position at work and had more down time in the evenings, I'm sure the same will apply to my spiritual quality of life when I leave more intentional spiritual meditation time in my life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment