Ads 468x60px

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Proverbs 2:1-8, New Living Translation

My child, listen to what I say,
and treasure my commands.
Tune your ears to wisdom,
and concentrate on understanding.
Cry out for insight,
and ask for understanding.
Search for them as you would for silver;
seek them like hidden treasures.
Then you will understand what it means to fear the Lord,
and you will gain knowledge of God.
For the Lord grants wisdom!
From his mouth come knowledge and understanding.
He grants a treasure of common sense to the honest.
He is a shield to those who walk with integrity.
He guards the paths of the just
and protects those who are faithful to him.


I seek things all the time. At work I seek the right words to use in my letters and I search for ways to do my job better. At home, I look for that lost sock, a misplaced container of leftovers somewhere in the fridge, and ways to keep things clean. In other areas of life, I seek things like the right greeting card for a friend, the perfect price of gas to fill up my car, new activities and events to attend with friends, and ways to prevent boredom. I am a seeker of all these things.


Ultimately, however, I want to be a seeker of Christ and Him alone. I read this proverb listed above and I am ashamed that my energy is spent more in seeking the temporary things of the world than it is in the eternal things of the Lord.

This is the same journey I've been on for years. I know its only going to continue, but hopefully it will at least get better! :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment