Ads 468x60px

Friday, October 2, 2009

Seasons of Change

The changing of the summer to autumn is my favorite time of year. As if there hasn’t been an autumn before, I get excited about drinking apple cider, taking walks with leaves falling from trees, carving pumpkins, and reveling in the cool weather. I was giddy today thinking about these fall activities. This is the kind of change that I enjoy. This kind of change doesn’t necessarily require me to do anything other than add more layers to my wardrobe.

Unfortunately, there is so much more that needs to change than just the natural rotation of seasons. The seasons of friendship need to change when life takes you down an unexpected turn or through a natural progression of life stages. Your life often goes through a changing of seasons when you transition from a location or a job. The spiritual seasons of my life aren’t on a regular schedule and we need to wake ourselves up from hibernation when we’ve been sleeping too long.

Especially on my mind today is the type of change that we have control over. We must change the trends in of injustice, of hunger, of gossip, of complacency, and of hatred. I am tired of seeing myself stand by, this season must change. In light of what Christ did for us, how can I go idly go through life? My heart echoes the words here in David Crowder’s song “Surely We Can Change”:

And the problem is this
We were bought with a kiss
But the cheek still turned
Even when it wasn't hit

And I don't know
What to do with a love like that
And I don't know
How to be a love like that

When all the love in the world
Is right here among us
And hatred too
And so we must choose
What our hands will do

And the problem it seems
Is with you and me
Not the Love who came
To repair everything

Where there is pain
Let there be grace
Where there is suffering
Bring serenity
For those afraid
Help them be brave
Where there is misery
Bring expectancy
And surely we can change
Surely we can change
Something

Oh, the world's about to change
The whole world's about to change

0 comments:

Post a Comment